*Cough cough*, "Achoo!" and "Uggghhh i'm so weak" are things what we mostly hear these days. Hong Kong is cloaked in flu season but you can avoid it with simple home remedies. Here are our top 5 ways to combat sicknesses and to rid yourself of them.
1. Choose Hot For A Cold - drink warm water with a pinch of sea salt. As the name "cold" suggests, your internal body is “cold” so you'll need to keep warm and consume the things that will "heat" you up. Heat up your internal body with a cup of warm water and a pinch of sea salt to break up the accumulation of mucus and congestion.
2. What's Up Doc? - Bouncing back from a terrible sickness? A great way to prevent sickness and to speed up your recovery is to consume more carrots. Bugs bunny agrees, for sure. The root vegetable can stimulate the immune system and the production of anti-bodies that make a good remedy in fighting off bacterial and viral infections.
3. Sweat Disposition - Pardon the pun but we're getting to the point. Healthy sweating is helpful during colds and flus. German researchers have recently found that sweat contains a potent germ-fighting agent that may help fight off infections, called Dermicidin. This protein is manufactured in the body's sweat glands, secreted into the sweat, and transported to the skin's surface where it provides protection against invading microorganisms, including bacteria and fungi. So being sick, unless you are utterly bed ridden and weak, is no excuse to stop working out after all. This leads us to our favourite root that actually does make you sweat...
4. Ginger Spice - Ginger is an excellent ingredient to warm up your internal body and make you sweat. It is an anti-inflammatory that is also has an alkalizing effect on the body. Consuming alkaline foods to lower your acidity will send you back in good health as viruses and diseases thrive in highly acidic states.
5. Go Veg - If your digestive system is working overtime to break down animal foods which are heavier to digest, your healing process will slow down. Even if you’re diet is not plant-based, you will speed up your recovery if you eat less meat and mucous-producing dairy.